7 KILLED, HUNDREDS INJURED AS STRONG QUAKE HITS SULAWESI, INDONESIA
VATICAN: POPE FRANCIS, FORMER POPE BENEDICT BOTH GET COVID-19 VACCINE
AUSTRALIA REBUKES GOOGLE FOR BLOCKING LOCAL CONTENT
JAPAN TO BAN ENTRY OF FOREIGN ATHLETES TO TRAIN AHEAD OF SUMMER OLYMPICS
BIDEN INAUGURATION WILL FEATURE DIVERSE PERFORMANCES INCLUDING LADY GAGA, JENNIFER LOPEZ
COURT ORDERS ARREST OF COPS ACCUSED OF KILLING ARMY MEN IN JOLO
THE PANDEMIC SLAMS PHL VEHICLE SALES IN 2020
CHESS PLAYER WESLEY SO BAGS P11.8M, JOINS WORLD’S TOP ESPORT EARNERS
ZSA ZSA PADILLA FINALLY VISITS THE GRAVE OF ‘COMEDY KING’ DOLPHY AGAIN
DUTERTE: PRESIDENCY JOB NOT FOR A WOMEN

PALACE SAYS MECQ WILL BE A DELICATE BALANCING ACT

7 months ago | Nation | 0 comments

By Xai Reyes

Malacañang said Monday the government would have to weigh public health and economic considerations before deciding whether to extend the stricter lockdown being imposed in Metro Manila and nearby provinces to curb the spread of COVID-19.

Presidential Spokesman Harry Roque said last week that a prolonged lockdown could lead to grave economic consequences. The Philippine economy plunged into a recession after the gross domestic product shrank 16.5% in the second quarter as strict lockdowns shuttered businesses.

The National Economic and Development Authority last week said that only half of the economy’s capacity is open after Metro Manila and nearby provinces returned to stricter lockdown for two weeks.

Defense Secretary Delfin Lorenzana on Monday expressed confidence that Metro Manila is ready to revert to the general community quarantine after August 18, citing the decreasing number of new cases in recent days.

According to Roque, the effects of the MECQ would be felt two to three weeks after its enforcement.

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Social Media